Milo turned 5 on Monday and I of course spoil the crap out of him on a regular bases! So naturally I had to make him a special treat, cook him a special dinner, and get him a couple new toys for his birthday. If you follow me on any social media or know me personally you know that I am madly, head over heels, in love with my
little big guy…. so the fact that I did all of this, surprises no one! Hell, he has his own Instagram for heaven sakes.
I figured I would share the recipe I used since a lot of people I showed photos to didn’t know you could bake cupcakes for dogs! They are obviously living under rocks. Any-who, I of course consulted Pinterest and found a TON of great healthy treats for Milo. I choose this recipe from Morsels and Moonshine, which is a vegan baking blog. I’m not vegan but I can appreciate that it’s a healthy life style and I wanted something good for my furbaby. It was perfect because it was mainly fruit based and I basically had everything I needed at home already. It also was super easy and took no time.
And he absolutely loved them…He’s a dog so he doesn’t complain a whole lot to begin with but his reaction pleased this furmom so it got an A+ from me! Give it a try the next time you want to whip up a little treat for you four legged children.
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 T. baking powder
1 smushed banana
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 T. honey (she used maple syrup but I had natural honey on hand)
1 cups water
1/2 c. pureed pumpkin, for the icing (I added peanut butter to give it a more solid texture)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 6 cupcake tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another small bowl mix, the applesauce, banana, and honey. While mixing, alternate adding the water and flour mixture. Do this until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins. Bake them for about 25 minutes.
- Once the pupcakes cool, place the pumpkin/peanut butter mix into a piping bag and decorate.